Thursday, September 30, 2010

Twins Fever

I work most weekends at camp, which means I have Mondays and Tuesdays off. Sometimes this is great. Sometimes it's a pain. In this particular instance, it was great.
Monday evening I got a text from my friend, Josh (who also happens to work most weekends with me at camp) that said "You off tomorrow?" I replied saying that I was and what did he have planned. He found tickets for the Twins game that Tuesday night 12 rows behind home plate. Sold!
Now, I am a tried and true Cubs fan (Go Cubs Go! Gob Cubs Go! Hey, Chicago, whadya say? The Cubs are gonna win today...... ). However, I am also a baseball fan and a sports fan. And since living in Minnesota, I have to admit I've caught Twins Fever (No worries - this will not happen with any other team. The Gophers - are you kidding me? The Vikings - No way! The Wild - who cares about hockey?). I like the way they play ball. They're not flashy, they don't have the big money players. They are sound fundamentally and play as a team. All things I enjoy. Plus, the Twins have a new ballpark, and I've been wanting to go all season.
Because it was a Tuesday night game, and every other normal person works Tuesdays, Josh and I couldn't find anyone else to go with us. So we trekked down to the Twin Cities, and got there a while before the game so I could explore the new stadium (Josh had been there before). I've been to a lot of ballparks, many of which are awesome, but this takes the cake. It's amazing (and it takes a lot for me to admit that something in Minnesota is amazing).






The seats were even better in person. The first 10 rows are the "corporate section". You virtually have to pass through a retinal scan to get in that section (I exaggerate only slightly). We were only two rows behind them. Which, combined with the zoom on my camera allowed for some excellent action shots.


The Twins fell apart on defense in the sixth inning, and we went into the bottom of the eighth down 4-2. Then it was the most exciting inning of baseball I've ever seen (in person). They just kept hitting to just the right spots, and a little bit at a time, scored 4 runs. They ended up winning the game 6-2. The White Sox lost that night, so with that win, the Twins clinched the AL Central Division. It was a huge celebration.



I made my friend Josh pose for two pictures. Neither of which he was pleased with, but obliged. Reluctantly.





It would have been the perfect evening. If not for getting rear-ended in the parking lot. Which wouldn't have even been so bad except for the fact that the guy that did it drove away, so then we had to call the cops, which delayed getting home to even later (remember, Fergus Falls is almost three hours from Minneapolis). No one is hurt and insurance companies are handling the situation, so we can be thankful for that. I arrived home at 2:30 AM, exhausted. But it was totally worth it.

No comments: