Saturday, November 28, 2009

Tis the Season

Yesterday was Christmas decorations day!



One of my favorite parts is putting up all the ornaments that have stories behind them (forgive me for being nostalgic...)


I honestly can't remember if we got an ornament every year (if we did, I'm missing quite a few!), but I vividly remember getting this ornament. I loved that it had my name on it. Imagine my surprise to do the math and realize I got the ornament 20 years ago! Can I possibly be that old?!



Every year, we'd make cookies and leave them with milk for Santa. One year, in appreciation, he gave my brother, Adam, and me these engraved ornaments. It's one of my all-time faves.



Not only does this ornament go with the whole red, green, and silver color palatte, but it also funded AIDS relief in Africa. I buy a lot of the PRODUCT (RED) stuff (cards, wrapping paper, clothing, etc.) and Donna Jean knew that when she got this for me a couple years ago.



This ornament is the most sentimental. It was also a gift from Donna Jean, and it says "Every life leaves something beautiful behind." It has a 2008 charm on it and commemorates the year Grandpa passed away. I bought my Christmas tree and all the lights and ornaments two years ago, after Christmas on super clearance sale. I didn't want to store it for 11 months, only to find out I needed more lights or something, so I put it all together. As I was doing that, I was talking to Grandpa and he was laughing at me because I was spending my New Year's Day putting up a Christmas tree just to take it down and store it. He said it made sense, but just thought it was funny. Last year was the first year I put it up for the season, and I just kept thinking that the last time I did this, I was talking to Grandpa. For that reason, putting up the Christmas tree will forever be a little bittersweet, but I love that I have this ornament to remind me of Grandpa (in a good way).



Nothing sentimental about this one - just my Dallas Cowboys ornament. Excellent.

Mele Kalikimaka all!

1 comment:

Aunt Cheri ~ The Great said...

That Hallmark shell ornament is the best! I liked that it was a shell because Grandpa loved Hawaii so much and the shell kinda represents. I got all choked up when Donna Jean gave me mine.